There are few things I love as much as a good brunch. Now, I know that brunch isn't exactly the fanciest meal, but nothing beats meeting friends on the weekend and sharing the first meal of the day with them. Something about it sets the tone for the day just right.
While brunch at a restaurant may not exactly break the bank, I've searched and found a great recipe to serve to friends for brunch at home. This recipe for Savory French Toast is prepared the night before and popped into the oven 35 minutes before serving time. With limited prep and clean up, it's a perfect excuse to have a "brunch party" at home.
This french toast recipe is a variation on one from Better Homes and Gardens, and the even better news is that every ingredient can be purchased at my favorite store, Trader Joes. Cheap and delicious! Enjoy!
Savory French Toast
1 Long French Baguette, Sliced in 24 pieces 3/4" inch thick
1 1/4 Milk (Low Fat works well)
1 1/4 Orange Juice
6 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, raisins, and cinnamon to make a cream cheese spread.
- Spread a generous amount of the cream cheese spread on half of the baguette slices and sandwich them with the other half of the roll. The result should be 12 stacks of baguette, cream cheese, baguette sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches in a baking or casserole dish.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, milk, and orange juice. Pour over the sandwich stacks, making sure to soak each one.
- Cover the stacks and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover a baking sheet in non-stick foil and place the french toast stacks uncovered on top.
- Bake from 30 - 35 minutes, turning halfway through baking.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Makes 4 servings of 3 stacks.